Yurok Tribe Vice-Chairman Myers to testify before Congress
The Yurok Tribe is honored to announce that Vice-Chairman Frankie Myers will be providing testimony before the US House of Representatives Natural Resources Committee on Water, Oceans, and Wildlife (WOW) at a legislative hearing to be held on Tuesday, January 14, 2020 at 10 a.m. in 1324 Longworth House Office Building.
This hearing will be focusing on ways to improve the Federal Fishery Resource Disaster Relief program of the National Marine Fisheries Service, and ensure more timely disaster relief for impacted communities, such as the Yurok Tribe.
The Tribe is pleased to support H.R. 5548, Fishery Failures: Urgently Needed Disaster Declarations Act (Fishery FUNDD Act) as the bill addresses some of the key obstacles in the existing disaster relief process. Prominently, it acknowledges the vital role of subsistence fishing to Tribal communities by making tribal subsistence fisheries disasters eligible to receive relief funding. This is critical to the United States upholding its treaty obligations to Native American Tribes and to continue the long tradition of tribal fishing ways of life.
Join us in supporting Vice Chairman by viewing the hearing at:
The Subcommittee on Water, Oceans, and Wildlife (WOW) will hold a legislative hearing on the following bills:
- H.R. 1834 (Rep. Francis Rooney, R-FL) To direct the Secretary of Commerce to issue regulations prohibiting the use of sunscreen containing oxybenzone or octinoxate in a National Marine Sanctuary in which coral is present, and for other purposes. “Defending Our National Marine Sanctuaries from Damaging Chemicals Act of 2019.”
- H.R. 2236 (Rep. Debbie Dingell, D-MI) To improve the management of forage fish. “Forage Fish Conservation Act.”
- H.R. 4679 (Rep. Joe Cunningham, D-SC) To require the Comptroller General of the United States to submit to Congress a report examining efforts by the Regional Fishery Management Councils, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, and the National Marine Fisheries Service to prepare and adapt United States fishery management for the impacts of climate change, and for other purposes. “Climate-Ready Fisheries Act of 2019.”
- H.R. 4723 (Rep. Jared Huffman, D-CA) To require the identification of salmon conservation areas, and for other purposes. “Salmon Focused Investments in Sustainable Habits Act of 2019” or “Fish Act of 2019.”
- H.R. 5126 (Rep. Garret Graves, R-LA) To require individuals fishing for Gulf reef fish to use certain descending devices, and for other purposes. “Direct Enhancement of Snapper Conservation and the Economy through Novel Devices Act of 2019” or “DESCEND Act of 2019.”
- H.R. 5548 (Rep. Jared Huffman, D-CA) To improve the Fishery Resource Disaster Relief program of the National Marine Fisheries Service, and for other purposes. “Fishery Failures: Urgently Needed Disaster Declarations Act.”