Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation
The Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation (CTUIR) Incident Command Team (ICT) has confirmed through Yellowhawk Tribal Health Center there is one positive case of COVID-19 within the Umatilla Indian Reservation (UIR).
Yellowhawk has just completed the third round of its Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation COVID-19 Surveillance Study, with more than 100 people testing negative over the course of six weeks. Yellowhawk staff are now working with the individual who has tested positive and we are conducting case investigations in accordance with Oregon Health Authority (OHA) investigative guidelines. Close contacts of this individual are being contacted and provided with education and guidance. A close contact is defined as anyone within 6 feet of the individual for more than 15 minutes.
The Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation has protocols in place to maintain the health and safety of employees and the community in the event of a positive case. Yellowhawk will now conduct additional COVID-19 surveillance testing.
“We have anticipated the possibility of a positive case and we are moving forward with our plan. I want to reinforce with the entire community that physical distancing and good personal hygiene are the best ways to stop this from spreading further,” Kat Brigham, Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation Chair.
To protect yourself and others, please:
- Maintain a distance of at least six feet between you and other people not in your household.
- Wear a cloth face covering in areas where it is difficult to maintain distance from others.
- Avoid all personal contact with others not in your household (i.e. handshaking).
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water (for at least 20 seconds) or use hand sanitizer (60-95% alcohol based).
- Regularly clean and disinfect high-touch surfaces like doorknobs, phones, remotes, and light switches.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue or use the inside of your elbow.
- Follow all public health recommendations issued by the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation Incident Command Team.
If you are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 including fever, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat or new loss of taste or smell, or feel you may have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, please call your healthcare provider. They will help decide if you need an appointment or need to be tested. Yellowhawk patients can call 541-966-9830 to speak with their healthcare provider. If you are experiencing a medical emergency, call 911.
For the most up to date information regarding COVID-19 on the UIR, please visit ctuir.org/coronavirus.