U.S. Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
Today, Wednesday, April 28 at 2:30 p.m. ET / 8:30 a.m. HT, U.S. Senator Brian Schatz (D-Hawaiʻi), chairman of the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs, will lead an oversight hearing, “Examining the COVID-19 Response in Native Communities: Native Education Systems One Year Later.”
Chairman Schatz and the committee will hear from the Government Accountability Office, Bureau of Indian Education, and Native education leaders to explore lessons learned and address federal shortcomings that left Native students and schools exposed to severe COVID-19 impacts.
Today, April 28, 2021
WHAT: Schatz to lead Senate Committee on Indian Affairs Oversight Hearing.
- Ms. Melissa Emrey-Arras, Director, Education-Workforce-Income Security Issues, Government Accountability Office, Washington, DC
- Mr. Tony Dearman, Director, Bureau of Indian Education, Washington, DC
- Mr. Lance West, Principal, Schurz Elementary School; Vice Chairman, Pyramid Lake Junior/Senior High School Board of Education, Pyramid Lake, NV
- Dr. Kauanoe Kamanā, Principal, Ke Kula ʻO Nāwahīokalaniʻōpuʻu, Demonstration Laboratory School, Keaʻau, HI
- Dr. Michelle Thomas, Superintendent, Belcourt School District, Belcourt, ND
WHEN: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 2:30 p.m. ET / 8:30 a.m. HT
HOW TO JOIN: Access the live stream here.