Office of the Assistant Secretary - Indian Affairs
U.S. Department of the Interior
The Assistant Secretary of Indian Affairs invites you to present your latest work in planning, constructing, delivering, and using Tribal broadband networks at the 2021 National Tribal Broadband Summit. The event will be conducted virtually September 17, 24 and October 1, 2021.
We encourage service providers, engineers, researchers, funders, regulators, anchor institutions, telehealth and distance learning specialists, tribal governments, organizations and institutions, and other key players from across the country to submit your best projects, programs, or initiatives to be presented at the National Tribal Broadband Summit, which will cover the following topics:
- Implementing the Tribal Broadband Connectivity Grant. Planning and implementing network construction and expansions, obtaining rights of way, NEPA assessments, and multi-jurisdictional projects. Implementing telehealth, distance learning, adoption, and workforce development projects, including equipment distribution and maintenance, curriculum development, and training methodologies.
- Planning for Long Term Success. Identifying needs, setting goals, creating strategies, developing a plan and leveraging data to maximize the short and long-term educational, cultural and economic benefits of connectivity. Developing a local tribal workforce to maintain and operate networks, capacity building for Tribes and Tribal organizations, and achieving financial stability.
- Technical Solutions, Middle Mile, Connectivity Solutions. Exploring the various connectivity options available and identifying possible solutions to bring broadband to Tribal lands. E.g., white space, new spectrum and how to use it best, middle mile networks.
- Broadband Use and Adoption. Leveraging technology to improve health care outcomes, enhance economic development, increase community engagement, and expand educational opportunity.
- Deadline for Abstract Submission: August 20, 2021
- Notification of Acceptance: August 27, 2021
- Deadline for Full Presentation Submission: September 10, 2021
Presenter should have demonstrated history of success:
- expanding broadband access, inclusion, and adoption,
- financing broadband infrastructure, or
- leveraging broadband for social and economic well-being or cultural preservation in American Indian, Alaska Native, and/or Native Hawaiian communities, schools, libraries, museums and cultural organizations.
Summit organizers are looking for representation across the telecommunications ecosystem – we encourage submissions from small, medium and large enterprises, and Tribes or educational institutions with expertise on broadband development and spectrum access on Tribal lands.
Preference may be given to proposals that include content from federally recognized Tribes or Tribal partners.
Provide a 1- to 2-page summary of your presentation proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 PM ET on Friday August 20, 2021.
The summary should indicate which main topic you are addressing, describe the presentation content and format (e.g., slide deck, panel discussion, etc.), the name and title of any speakers.
Please attach any prepared supporting materials, such as slide decks, brochures, etc., that would accompany the presentation and/or better help Summit organizers assess your proposal.
All abstracts will be evaluated highly on originality and technical value, any improvement, refinement, and development can be completed while preparing and editing the final presentation.
Final presentations must be 508 compliant. See www.section508.gov/create/presentations for more information.
About the Office of the Assistant Secretary - Indian Affairs
The Assistant Secretary–Indian Affairs assists and supports the Secretary of the Interior in fulfilling the United States’ trust responsibility to the Federally recognized American Indian and Alaska Native tribes and villages and individual Indian trust beneficiaries, as well as in maintaining the Federal-Tribal government-to-government relationship.