Austin, Texas music scene partners with Indigenous activists to raise money for Carrizo Comecrudo Tribe
Indigenous Environmental Network
To the People of the Land: Carrizo/Comecrudo Solidarity Compilation is a 31-track compilation curated by Jordan Moser and Keeled Scales and available exclusively via Bandcamp as a digital release for only 30 days. Mosser and Scales worked with local Indigenous activist Jennifer K. Falcon of the Indigenous Environmental Network and the Carrizo Comecrudo Tribe (the Estok'Gna) to bring awareness to the issues Indigenous peoples are facing in Texas.
The compilation features previously-unreleased songs from Big Thief, Molly Burch, Sharon Van Etten, Black Belt Eagle Scout, Jess Williamson, Little Wings, Sun June, Jolie Holland, RF Shannon, Christelle Bofale, Tenci, and more. (Full tracklist below)
The compilation will be priced at $15 with 100% of the revenue going directly to the Carrizo/Comecrudo Tribe of Texas (the Estok'Gna) and their legal fund.
We are proud to offer this collection of recordings in support of the Estok'Gna (also known as the Carrizzo/Comecrudo Tribe of Texas, a name originally given to them by Spanish colonialists). After surviving centuries of oppression, genocide, and erasure the People of the Land still face threats to their life-ways and human rights.
Three liquid natural gas terminals and pipelines are planned which would desecrate sacred village sites and historically significant areas. Border wall construction threatens to bisect their ancestral homeland and sacred river.
Due to Texas' new ALEC-sponsored overly-punitive law (HB3557), the Estok'Gna could receive felonies and significant fines for occupying and praying at their sacred sites in the path of so-called "critical infrastructure."
The Texas Railroad Commission has given the green light to these projects without adequate environmental impact study. These projects stand to destroy important life-bearing estuaries and 331.5 acres of habitat for 21 endangered species including the ocelot, jaguarundi, and northern aplomado falcon.
As indigenous people continue to lead the fight against the reckless fossil fuel industry, we are honored to offer this compilation and its earnings in solidarity with everyone in the fight for racial justice and a livable future for all beings on planet earth. We will be donating 100% of revenue from this compilation directly to the Carrizzo/Comecrudo Tribe of Texas (the Estok'Gna) as they reclaim their land and culture and fight continued genocide and environmental racism.
To the People of the Land: Carrizo/Comecrudo Solidarity Compilation is the first in a series of semi-annual To the People benefit compilations curated by Keeled Scales, with all funds going to different organizations working diligently to make our planet a healthier, more beautiful place to live.
- Aisha Burns “Chinati”
- Pablo. “Looking Within” (Land Back) (feat. Andy Torres)
- Black Belt Eagle Scout “My Blood Runs Through This Land”
- Sun June "16 Riders (demo)"
- Molly Burch “Every Little Thing” (demo)
- Tenci “Cold Dirty Water” (demo)
- Big Thief “Jane (demo)”
- Renée Reed “J’ai Trouvé”
- Little Wings “Movin Right Along”
- Justin Boyd & Thor Harris “The Godless Sky Looks On In Disbelief”
- Jolie Holland “Painted Bird”
- Will Johnson “Need of Trust and Thunder (demo)”
- Julian Neel “Carolina Wren”
- Christelle Bofale “And I’ll Go” (demo)
- Jesse Wooten “Sometimes To Rise”
- Tele Novella “He Needs Me”
- Jess Williamson “Harm None (live)”
- Sleep Good “Summertime Feeling”
- Little Mazarn “‘Bury Me Not on the Lone Prairie”
- RF Shannon “Cedar Perfume”
- Sharon Van Etten “Untitled”
- Jo Schornikow “Election Year”
- Twain “The Kiss” (demo)
- Karima Walker “Uncovering”
- Longriver “The Way That It Is (alternate version)”
- Jackie Venson “Lost in Time (live)”
- Jesse Woods “Shattering My Shadow”
- Jordan Moser “Limestone Trail”
- Cowboy Crisis “Humming Still Goes Walking By”
- Erin Durant “Highway Blue” (demo)
- Future Museums “Jojoba Joy”
Bandcamp streaming/preorder link (will go live on Friday, October 2)