California utility defends itself against outage outrage
The Associated Press
By The Associated Press
A daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. REPUBLICANS DISRUPT IMPEACHMENT DEPOSITION
Democrats say the move compromised national security as some lawmakers brought electronic devices into a secure room where a Defense Department official was being questioned.
2. UKRAINIAN LEADER FELT TRUMP PRESSURE BEFORE TAKING OFFICE
More than two months before the phone call that launched the impeachment inquiry, Volodymyr Zelenskiy was already worried about pressure from the U.S. president to investigate Joe Biden, AP learns.
3. TRUMP'S 'SUCCESS' IN SYRIA CEDES REGION TO RUSSIA
With Syria, Trump gets his campaign bumper-sticker moment on "endless wars" while ceding Middle East influence to Vladimir Putin.
4. REPORTS: DOZENS OF DEAD FOUND IN TRUCK WERE FROM CHINA
Police raid two addresses in Northern Ireland and question a truck driver as officers investigate the deaths of 39 people found in a truck container at an industrial park in southeastern England.
5. CALIFORNIA UTILITY BEGINS ANOTHER BLACKOUT
Dangerously windy weather sweeping through the state brings power outages to Northern California as Pacific Gas & Electric stages blackouts designed to prevent catastrophic wildfires.
6. SPAIN BEGINS EXHUMING LATE DICTATOR'S REMAINS
The remains of Gen. Francisco Franco are being extracted from his grandiose mausoleum outside Madrid so he can be reburied in a small family crypt elsewhere.
7. WHERE A MARIJUANA FIGHT IS BREWING
Colleges are becoming a battleground in the conflict between federal and state cannabis laws, as schools fear losing federal funding.
8. COMMEMORATIONS FOR ELIJAH CUMMINGS CONTINUE
The late Maryland lawmaker will be remembered by congressional leaders and colleagues as he lies in state at the Capitol.
9. SEA URCHIN EXPLOSION DISRUPTS ECOSYSTEM
Tens of millions of voracious purple sea urchins that have already chomped their way through towering underwater kelp forests in California are spreading north to Oregon.
10. NATIONALS TAKE CONTROL OF WORLD SERIES
Stephen Strasburg finally delivers on the biggest stage of his career as Washington routs Houston 12-3 to take a 2-0 lead in the Series.