Victor Lopez-Carmen is a third-year medical student at Harvard University wishing to bring health equity to Native communities. Major media company Forbes recognized his work by selecting him as a recipient of its “30-under-30” award under its healthcare category.
U.S. Department of Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack announced an Indigenous Food Sovereignty Initiative at the White House Tribal Nations Summit. ICT Reporter Carina Dominguez covered this news and she joins us to give some details.
- The meeting between Canada’s Indian residential school survivors and Pope Francis is being postponed.
- In Oregon, the first woman is being appointed as executive director of the Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fish Commission.
- Electric vehicles and charging stations are coming to the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe.
- Netflix and IllumiNative are launching a virtual program to support Indigenous creators.
- At least five Native runners will compete at this year’s National Junior Olympic Cross Country meet on Saturday.
Find more details on these headlines at the top of today's newscast.
Today's newscast was created with work from:
Mark Trahant, Shoshone-Bannock, is editor of Indian Country Today. On Twitter: @TrahantReports Trahant is based in Phoenix.
Kaitlin Onawa Boysel, Cherokee, is a producer/reporter for Indian Country Today. On Instagram: @KaitlinBoysel Boysel is based in South Carolina.
Maxwell Montour, Pottawatomi, is a newscast editor for Indian Country Today. On Instagram: max.montour Montour is based in Phoenix.