Indigenous leaders joined other world leaders at the U.N. Climate Conference in Glasgow, Scotland. Joining us is Lycia Maddocks, Quechan, who attended as a delegate with NDN Collective. She reflects on the summit, saying there was some progress made, but still a lot of work to do to address climate change in a meaningful way.
Holly Cook Macarro, Red Lake Ojibwe, is a regular contributor to our show. She’s a partner at Spirit Rock Consulting and has worked for tribal nations for more than 20 years. She joins us today to talk about redistricting and the White House Tribal Nations Summit.
- Vice President Kamala Harris closed out the 2021 White House Tribal Nations Summit in virtual remarks Tuesday.
- Meskwaki citizen Sarah Wheelock was appointed to be the first Native American judge to sit on the Minnesota Court of Appeals by Gov. Walz.
- The Departments of Agriculture and the Interior have contracted with Oklahoma State University to develop a publicly available, searchable, and indexed database of all the tribal treaties.
- The names of 87 Native students who died at a Nebraska boarding school have been found.
- Alaqua Cox will star in the upcoming Marvel series “Echo” which focuses on the comic-book superhero that was announced on Disney Plus day.
Wednesday's newscast was made with help from:
Mark Trahant, Shoshone-Bannock, is editor of Indian Country Today. On Twitter: @TrahantReports Trahant is based in Phoenix.
Aliyah Chavez, Kewa Pueblo, is an anchor for Indian Country Today’s newscast. On Twitter: @aliyahjchavez.
Drea Yazzie, Diné, is a producer/editor for Indian Country Today. On Twitter: @quindreayazzie Yazzie is based in Phoenix.