The Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians received federal restoration in 1994, and since then only men have been elected to lead the tribe. Joining us is Chairwoman Rebecca Richards to talk about her historic win as the first woman to lead her nation.
California Gov. Gavin Newsom defeated a recall election Tuesday and will stay in office. CEO of the Redding Rancheria Tracy Edwards tells us about the recall election, what it meant for tribal sovereignty and voter turnout.
John Tahsuda is a regular contributor to Indian Country Today. He’s worked as the staff director for the Senate Indian Affairs Committee and he is also a former principal deputy assistant secretary for Indian Affairs. Today he is a partner with Navigators Global. He tells us about what could be another government shutdown.
A slice of our Indigenous world:
- An explosion Monday left 26 people injured at the Seminole Classic Casino in Florida.
- A major California ski resort changed its racist name.
- This week marks the 30th anniversary of the opening of the Viejas Band of Kumeyaay Indians casino.
- A new Miss Navajo Nation was crowned over the weekend.
- 'Reservation Dogs' director Sterlin Harjo says the hit show is partly based on his own life
Thank you for watching!
Patty Talahongva, Hopi, is executive producer of Indian Country Today. Follow her on Twitter: @WiteSpider.
Indian Country Today is a nonprofit news organization. Will you support our work? All of our content is free. There are no subscriptions or costs. And we have hired more Native journalists in the past year than any news organization ─ and with your help we will continue to grow and create career paths for our people. Support Indian Country Today for as little as $10.