May 13, 2020 NAU begins disbursing CARES Act grants to students…

DRechelNAU

May 13, 2020
NAU begins disbursing CARES Act grants to students
Contact:
Diane.Rechel@nau.edu
(928) 523-8656
Northern Arizona University is distributing the majority of the federal funding received through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act directly to eligible students.
The university emailed students and parents on Tuesday, sharing the process through which students can apply for CARES grants, and by the end of the day more than a third of eligible students had submitted funding requests. This $11.7 million in funding, which the U.S. Department of Education has designated to help students defray costs incurred while pursuing their education during the COVID-19 pandemic, will be disbursed in two waves. The first wave representing an estimated 75 percent of funding will be given out now through July 6. There will be a separate application process in the late summer or early fall to access the remaining 25 percent. More information will be shared on this process later in the summer.
“The last few months have presented our students with many challenges, and I am proud that they all, with the guidance, efforts and support of our faculty and staff, completed this semester,” President Rita Cheng said. “Our commitment to the education and well-being of our students is at the center of all we do, and we are pleased to have secured this funding through the U.S. Department of Education and to be able to offer some financial assistance during this time.”
Once eligible students complete a simple form, NAU will either mail a check or deposit the grant in students’ bank accounts. Students who are Pell-eligible will receive $500, while students who are not Pell-eligible will receive $400. This grant is not connected to the university’s financial aid and does not need to be repaid.
For more information and links to the necessary form, visit NAU’s CARES Act page.

social media:
NAU students may be eligible to receive up to $500 for costs incurred while pursuing their education during the pandemic. NAU is distributing federal funds received through the CARES Act and wants to ensure all students are notified of this opportunity. For more information on eligibility for grant funds that do not have to be paid back, please call 844-293-3159.
For info: nau.edu/coronavirus/caresact.

Comments

News

FEATURED
COMMUNITY