JOB SUMMARY: The Newscast Producer is an integral part of the production of the ICT Newscast with Aliyah Chavez. This position serves both the broadcast and digital departments by producing content for the weekday newscast, assisting with broadcast production, writing stories for the digital platform and coordinating content for social media.
Job Title: Newscast Producer
Digital Location: Phoenix, AZ
Position Type: Full-time, 40 hours/week
Supervisor: VP Broadcast
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary: $60,000 - $75,000
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with a team to produce a daily television newscast.
- Write at least one story daily for the 5-minute A-Block news summary.
- Enterprise and develop stories. Research and gather information. Find and interview subjects and record video for the story. Write the story in an accurate, clear, and interesting fashion.
- Use camera and editing gear to record and edit stories and packages for broadcast and online.
- Complete stories on time and meet deadlines.
- Ensure that all details of a newscast are taken care of, including scripts, graphic information, video lists, and name keys.
- Work in the Control Room as assigned: assisting with directing, graphic, audio and other roles.
- May be able to work as on-air talent for the newscast when the regular anchor is away.
- A college degree in journalism or communications is preferred.
- Must be knowledgeable about Indigenous issues, newsmakers, and current events.
- Solid English writing and speaking skills required.
- Must be able to shoot and edit stories.
- Present stories accurately, completely and clearly, while under tight deadlines.
- Need to be able to communicate and work well with a variety of people in stressful situations.
- Must be able to read a Teleprompter, and watch recorded video and audio.
- Manual dexterity and fine motor skills to manipulate computer keys, camera gear, and office equipment.
- Ability to move quickly from the newsroom to the studio, sit or stand for extended periods, and be able to report outside in a wide range of weather conditions.
- Ability to carry up to 50 pounds of equipment.
- The Company may take reasonable accommodations to facilitate the ability to perform essential job functions.
- Solid knowledge of broadcast news software, editing and office software.
- Participate in the editorial meeting by bringing guest ideas and story ideas to each meeting.
- Work collaboratively with editors and fellow reporters/national correspondents, and the ICT broadcast team.
- Cultivate diverse and representative sources.
- Communicate openly and promptly sharing information and ideas with others throughout the organization.
- Use journalistic and ethical judgment.
- Pay attention to detail and care for factual accuracy
- Use background in American Indian and Alaska Native issues, histories, and cultures, and federal Indian policy to provide context in news stories.
- Capture photos and video for the digital and broadcast platform, and social media channels.
- Craft, post, and schedule social media posts to engage readership and promote stories.
- Inform supervisors of any time off.
- Be available for on-call, weekend, and/or late evening shifts.
- Travel to report stories, if needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent work experience to perform duties of the job
- Minimum of one (1) of relevant work experience
- Proficient with video production equipment and software
- Working experience with journalism style guides
- Demonstrated ability to work with social media platforms
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS:
- Requires a valid driver’s license.
IndiJ Public Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, color, age, physical or mental disability, spousal affiliation, marital status, a serious medical condition, genetic information, veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
To request a disability accommodation in the application process, please contact Kendra Clements at email@example.com. We will provide reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org a resume and cover letter. Write “Newscast Producer — YOUR FIRST AND LAST NAME” in the email subject line. Application deadline: Open until filled.