Sitka Tribe of Alaska
Exempt: Yes Grade: 10
Department: Admin/Finance Hours: 8:00a.m. - 4:30p.m.
Reports to: Finance Director Effective Date: February 1, 2020
The Grant Writer has a critical role in a fast-changing organization. Under the supervision of the Finance Director, the Grant Writer/Administrator has two major responsibilities: first, to oversee the development, preparation and submission of grants to secure funding to support all STA departments and, second, to support department directors, program staff and finance staff to ensure accurate financial reporting and procedural compliance on all grants, including governmental grants. The Grant Writer/Administrator works closely with department directors and senior staff to develop and manage submitted and awarded grants and to ensure organizational effectiveness and compliance. The Grant Writer/Administrator must possess the ability to see and understand all points of view while adhering to all grant requirements to ensure highest opportunity for success. The incumbent will have a strong track record of success in securing grant funding; and will have excellent collaboration and problem-solving skills; and will provide seasoned guidance on identifying viable funding sources specific to supporting the mission and goals of STA and its programs and enterprises.
II. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A. Supervision and Authority
This position reports to the Finance Director and does not supervise any positions.
B. Grants Development and Grant Writing:
· Research funding sources relevant to STA priorities as well as resources to support current and planned services and activities
· Develop grant proposals in conjunction with GM, department directors and Program staff with targeted goal of continuing or increasing revenues to support the operations and services of STA
· Review and submit grant application authorizations to Finance Committee and Tribal Council in conjunction with department directors and finance director
· Oversee preparation and grant writing activities, soliciting support of STA GM, finance staff, department staff, and consultants as needed
· Develop grants monitoring database to track grant applications, submitted current, and future development, and grants received
· Assess all grants that are submitted and not funded to determine best opportunity for future success
· Oversee and act as STA’s expert for all aspects of STA’s grant development and management process including all grant administration policies, systems, and documentation to ensure compliance, incorporate best practices, and ensure excellent controls
C. Grants Management and Administration
· Work with STA’s GM, department directors and program staff to ensure an accurate timely, efficient, and transparent process for the entire grant life cycle, from proposal to close; this entails support –as needed-
o in pre-award management, tracking payments, reviewing, or producing relevant reports, monitoring, and post-award management
· Support department directors and other staff to develop and maintain all grant agreements and MOUs pertaining to grant awards
· When needed, provide support to department directors, program staff, and finance as related to grant administration and compliance
· Design and execute grants monitoring process, including conducting assessments, meetings regularly with staff, collecting and analyzing data, documenting results, and identifying and discussing implications
· Proactively interpret and assess grant operations, provide technical assistance as necessary to address issues on a timely basis
· Develop and maintain a basic grant-making manual and communicate appropriately with staff concerning policies and procedures and updates
· Support STA operations, special events, public functions and in other areas assigned
o Complete SF-425s or other financial reports, as required by the agency
o Support staff in their completion and submission of progress reports
o Under the guidance of the finance director, prepare and complete drawdowns and invoices for grant advanced payments or reimbursements
o Complete grant summary for annual audit and answer any questions that arise
o Provide timely financial updates to program staff and advice to address relevant spending issues
o Maintain complete and up-to-date grant files and update relevant information in Abila MIP, as necessary
D. Meetings, STA Reporting and Professional Conduct
· Serve as acting Finance Director in the absence of the Finance Director, supervise finance staff if background shows aptitude for this type of work, increased pay for taking on this role.
· Maintains confidentiality of all financial information at all times
· Keeps Finance Director informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems and suggestions for new or improved ways of addressing such problems
· Participates in weekly meetings of the Finance Department
· Attends STA all staff meetings
· Participates in STA all-staff events which may occur after hours or on weekends, including but not limited to Annual Picnic, Annual Meeting, Children’s Christmas Party, Annual Native American Heritage Month Parade, and Annual Herring Dinner
· Responds to questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner
· Prepares other documents requested by Finance Director
· Represent Sitka Tribe of Alaska and maintain positive relations with other tribal, state, federal and local governments, public agencies, Tribal Citizens, the public, and the media.
· Treat STA Council, staff, Tribal Citizens, and the public in a respectful manner.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
III. MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
· BA/BS degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
· Five plus years of experience with grants writing and/or administration and compliance (government grant experience required; federal grant experience desired)
· Associate degree with 7+ years of related experience will also be considered
C. Additional Requirements
· Possess a valid Alaska driver’s license or have the ability to secure one in a reasonable time
D. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Strong project management and time management skills; highly organized and detail-oriented
· Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office required (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint) Experience with ABILA (MIP software) accounting software preferred
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Ability to provide guidance to people with a wide range of cultural backgrounds, training, and experience
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team
IV. PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Nonprofit, philanthropic, or tribal work experience preferred
· Understanding of the Native Community in Sitka
Tribal Citizen and Native preference in hiring applies as outlined in the STA Hiring Policy and Procedure and the STA Employee Handbook.
A. Criminal Background Check
This position requires full compliance with the STA Criminal Background Check ordinance. All candidates for this position must consent to a criminal history record check, submit fingerprints and submit a supplemental employment application. No individual may fill this position:
· Who has been convicted of any crime involving a sexual offense,
· Who has been found guilty of two misdemeanors or one felony of a crime against a person, a child or involving violence,
· Whose past conduct creates an immediate or long-term risk for any Indian child or raises questions about an individual’s trustworthiness,
· Who is currently subject to a restraining order issued after a hearing which restrains the individual from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or a child,
· Who has been convicted of a crime involving dishonesty or theft or violation of a gaming law.
The individual who holds this position is required to report any violation of a criminal statute within one working day of the charge or conviction to the individual’s immediate supervisor.
B. Drug- and Alcohol-Free Workplace
This position is required to comply with Sitka Tribe of Alaska’s Drug and Alcohol-Free Workplace Ordinance. This position therefore is subject to reasonable suspicion and follow-up drug/and or alcohol testing.
To Apply: email@example.com