We are a fast-paced journalism startup looking for an accomplished assistant to help our top leaders execute on a variety of managerial goals and administrative tasks. Your stellar organizational skills, attention to detail and capability to follow through on tasks, large or small, are what our executives need to take our public media company to the next level. While the job is designed to assist with business-related functions, it is based in the newsroom of Indian Country Today, located at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University. This exciting opportunity allows the Executive Assistant to work directly with the Editor of ICT and work remotely with the President and CEO of IndiJ Public Media, the company that owns ICT. This is a part-time position.
Job Title: Executive Assistant
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Immediate Supervisor: Mark Trahant
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Salary: $25,000 annually
Position Type: Part-Time up to 20 hours per week
This position is responsible for providing administrative support to the Editor of ICT and the President and CEO of IndiJ Public Media, and will have varied administrative responsibilities while fulfilling support functions for the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Provide administrative support for the Editor including assisting with email correspondence, office phone messages, travel, expenses, managing the Editor’s calendar and scheduling/coordinating meetings
● Assist the Editor with duties related to banking and financial recordkeeping
● Manage the company mail and package deliveries
● Assist the President/CEO in executing tasks for project deadlines, including gathering information and statistics for reports and grant applications, and updating project spreadsheets to help ensure projects remain on track
● Assist with the ICT Speakers Bureau on fielding requests and maintaining a schedule of speaking engagements
● Assist with creating slide presentations as needed for the leadership team and for Speakers Bureau presentations
● Assist with answering email inquiries regarding the fundraising site
● Order supplies and ensure they are distributed to staff in different geographic locations
● Handle arrangements for virtual and on-site company and board meetings, including booking conference rooms, issuing meeting requests/calendar invites, preparing agendas, keeping minutes, operating virtual meeting rooms, and resolutions for meetings as required
● Process office expenses of the Phoenix-based newsroom and ensure that editorial staff members (in Phoenix and remotely) have submitted expense reports in a timely fashion
● Maintain and oversee equipment inventory list and ensure all equipment is tagged
● Maintain office equipment in proper operating condition
● Maintain all internal team documents; gathering and inputting campaign updates to calendars, timelines, status reports, etc.
● Conduct relevant research duties, including web/social media research about media coverage, competitive releases, industry trends, etc.
● Assist the business team in preparing for board meetings
● Perform day-to-day administrative tasks such as maintaining information files and processing paperwork
● Enter, transcribe, record, store, and/or maintain information in written or electronic form
● Compile, categorize, calculate, tabulate, or verify information or data
● Communicate with people outside the organization, representing the organization to customers, the public, government, and other external sources. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing, or by telephone or e-mail
● Develop specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish work
● Support all departments via cross-team coordination, maintaining internal documents and planning department functions
● Other related duties as assigned
● Available to perform duties at least 20 hours per week. Standard work schedule in the office is 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. MST (with a 30-minute lunch break) on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Ability to work five hours per week remotely.
● Maintain dress code of business casual in the workplace
Education and Experience:
● Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent work experience to perform duties of the job
● Minimum of two (2) years of relevant work experience
● Proficient with Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
● Working experience with Google Workspace and other digital communication applications
● Demonstrated ability to work with social media platforms
● Ability to multitask and deliver under tight deadlines in a calm manner
● Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills with the ability to interface with staff, other administrators, internal and external customers and senior management in a professional manner
● Must be organized and detail oriented with the ability to manage multiple high priorities and appropriately prioritize work and proactively anticipate and manage time efficiently
● Ability to lift, carry, push, pull, reach, stoop, and climb to complete moderately demanding physical activities
● Ability to deal effectively with others and to work effectively in fast-paced situations
● Ability to work efficiently, independently and in a team environment
● Outstanding customer service skills
● Ability to handle sensitive information with discretion and professionalism
Licenses and Certifications:
● Requires a valid driver’s license.
IndiJ Public Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, color, age, physical or mental disability, spousal affiliation, marital status, a serious medical condition, genetic information, veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
To request a disability accommodation in the application process, please contact Alicia Hauki, director of business operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will provide reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.