Job Title: Corporate Counsel
Entity: Colville Tribal Federal Corporation (CTFC)
Reports to: CTFC Board of Directors
Salary: DOE (Contracted Employee position)
Position status: Exempt
Closing Date: Open until filled with first review on November 1, 2022
The Corporate Counsel reports to the CTFC Board of Directors with day-to-day supervision from the CTFC Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The Corporate Counsel works with the CTFC CEO and Executive team providing legal services, representation and advice on legal issues confronting the corporation within the scope established by law.
* Provides hands-on counsel to all levels of executive staff and manages all legal matters related to accomplishing CTFC’s goals and strategic objectives.
* Enhances and protects the Tribes sovereignty, jurisdiction, and authority.
* Responsible for identifying and analyzing legal issues, drafting contracts, board resolutions, corporate policies and other key documents, presenting clear recommendations, and assuring legal compliance and protections.
* Advises executive members on new laws, existing laws and legal rights that would impact the functionality of the corporation.
* Keeps records and maintains knowledge of the company’s legal documents and operations.
* Crafts legal strategy regarding potential litigation.
* Determines the legal feasibility of projects and other business matters.
* Represents CTFC at the local, state and federal levels in court and on councils, taskforces, administrative bodies and other such entities to further CTFC’s mission.
* This job description does not list all the duties of this position. The incumbent may be instructed by the CEO to perform other duties or to assist with special projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (Minimum Qualifications):
* Juris Doctorate degree required with admission to the Washington State Bar Association or able to obtain admission within one year of employment.
* Eight (8) years of progressively responsible experience in the legal profession with a minimum of five (5) years in business law including gaming, business development, and employment laws that govern tribal corporations.
* Must be a member of the Colville Tribal Bar or pass the Tribal Bar and be admitted to practice in Tribal Court within 6 months of hire.
* Knowledge of Section 17 Federal Corporations and member limited liability companies preferred.
* Knowledge of SBA 8(a) program preferred
* Requires exceptional expertise in Indian Law and tribal government operations and expert working knowledge of applicable federal and state laws, regulations and rules related to tribal governmental operations.
* Requires the ability to present in front of distinguished groups and general audiences.
* Requires sufficient human relations skills to convey a positive image of CTFC and Colville Tribes at all times.
* Requires knowledge of cultural competence or a willingness to learn, understand, appreciate and adapt to a Tribal Court environment and Native American culture. This includes understanding how advocacy may differ within the context of the Colville Tribal Court versus other court systems.
* Requires the ability to negotiate, draft and review contracts, MOU’s, a wide range of policies, model contracts, and other legally enforceable agreements.
* Requires the ability to plan, organize and prioritize work in order to meet schedules and timelines.
* Must possess excellent legal research and writing skills, superior oral communication skills in order to write correspondence, legal memoranda, and draft court documents.
* Requires the highest level of confidentiality and behavior consistent with attorney ethics rules.
* Requires the ability to work in cooperation with others within or outside of CTFC.
* Must obtain and maintain a Colville Tribal Gaming License and have an impeccable credit history.
* Must have a valid driver’s license.
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
* Manual and finger dexterity as required to perform daily job duties.
* Ability to frequently sit for prolonged periods of time.
* Ability to periodically bend, squat, reach, push, and pull.
* Ability to comprehend complex issues.
* Sufficient visual acuity to write, recognize printed materials, computer screen, and notice non-verbal behavior.
* Speech and hearing ability to project voice to small and large audiences, carry on telephone conversations, hear and grasp verbal communications and equipment prompts.
* Ability to analyze data from multiple information ports by comparing and contrasting data to draw a conclusion or to identify trends.
* Ability to be given verbal and written instruction and apply the instruction accurately.
* Able to drive in adverse weather conditions.
* Must be willing and able to put in extended evening or weekend work hours as needed.
* Periodically exposed to high levels of noise and tobacco smoke.
* Must submit to and successfully clear an extensive criminal background inquiry with a history of no violations that affect ability to practice law within the Colville Tribal Court and maintain clearance throughout employment.
* Must have no pending disciplinary actions before any state or tribal bar association, and no finding of dishonesty in any tribal, state, or federal court.
* Must notify immediate supervisor of any involvement with law enforcement which is not work related within 72 hours.
* Work history must demonstrate strict compliance with an attorney’s ethical obligations of competence, diligence, loyalty, honesty, and confidentiality
* Please submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample.
These requirements need to be met to represent knowledge, skill and/or ability to perform job functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Submit applications to Human Resources: 729 Jackson Street, Omak, WA 98840
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you require more information call (509) 429-6370.
Find us at www.colvillecasinos.com
CTFC IS AN INDIAN PREFERENCE EMPLOYER