Position: Chief Executive Officer, Tribal Affairs
Position Number: 1106 Open
Division: Tribal Affairs
Department: Tribal Affairs Administration
Reports To: Tribal Council
Salary: Grade 18 ($109,734.03-$159,948.05)
Classification: Full time
The Chief Executive Officer of Tribal Affairs shall be responsible for the day-to-day tribal administration and operations. The primary responsibilities include the direct supervision of Deputy Directors of Tribal Affairs, (DDTAs) and maintaining and development of programs.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Provide direction and leadership in achieving or modifying the Ponca Tribe of Nebraska’s philosophy, mission, strategy and annual goals and objectives.
2. Report directly to the Tribal Council on designated programmatic activities or as requested, to carry out all TC directives.
3. Direct the DDTAs in their management of the operations of staff, program, directors, volunteers, and consultants. Confer with DDTAs and program directors to provide advice to assist with problem solving.
4. Effectively manage Tribal resources within budget guidelines according to current laws, regulations and grant or contract compliance requirements.
5. Assure the Tribe’s mission: program and services are consistently presented in a strong, positive image to Tribal members, other Native American Tribes and the community at large.
6. When requested, serve as liaison between the Tribe and government agencies for the purpose of improving future funding sources and grant funding opportunities.
7. Consistently seek state and federal grant opportunities to best meet Tribal member support needs.
8. Administer consultant contracts.
9. Review final drafts for changes in policies and procedures, fiscal lines of authority, and any other governance documents.
10. Oversee DDTAs in the administration of funds or records, documentation, and reporting and compliance requirements.
11. Establish partnership at all levels across department and functional line to achieve optimum results.
12. Communicate effectively with respect and demeanor as required on all levels of management, including professional diplomacy with the Ponca Tribal Council and State, Federal or other government agencies.
13. Ensure consistent application of policies and procedures by Tribal Affairs staff.
14. Responsible for ensuring the Tribal Affairs staff are implementing the Ponca Preference hiring policy on a consistent and unbiased basis.
15. Maintain confidentiality pertaining to all matters of Tribal business, planning, strategy etc.
16. Submit required information in timely manner.
17. Other duties as assigned.
Actions requiring Executive Director’s approval:
1. Procurement of up to $5,000, that is within the pre-approved budget category limits.
2. Approval of director travel, travel advances, expense reports, leave of absence or compensatory time off and requests for LWOP. Reviews requests to obtain legal opinions associated with Tribal activities. Review / approve all grant proposals prior to presentation to TC for final approval and submission (includes budgets, job descriptions, timelines, required documentation, etc.).
3. Evaluate performance of program directors annually for compliance with established policies, position descriptions and program objectives.
4. Reviews and approves salary actions, promotions and terminations of all Tribal employees.
Relationships and Authority:
Chief Executive Officer of Tribal Affairs will oversee all Ponca Tribe of Nebraska’s Tribal Affairs division, with direct supervision of the Deputy Directors of Tribal Affairs and the Administrative Assistant.
Working Environment and Physical Demands:
This position is in professional office environment.
1. Bachelor’s degree in business, education, social services or related field.
2. Two years of supervisory experience, including multi-level staffing.
3. Two years of experience of program development, grant writing, administration and/or budget management.
4. Two years of procurement administration.
5. One year experience working with Native Americans or Native American programs.
6. Knowledge and understanding of Public Law 93-638: Indian Self-Determination Act, Bureau of Indian Affairs, and OMB Circulars.
7. Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
8. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
9. Valid driver’s license and be insurable.
10. Successfully pass drug and alcohol testing, motor vehicle, education, character, and criminal background checks.
11. Able and willing to travel.
1. Masters’ degree in business, education, social services, or related field.
2. Two or more years’ experience in Tribal administration.
3. Two or more years’ experience in developing and maintaining inter-governmental relationships and agreements when deemed necessary.
4. Familiarity with grant websites: Grants.gov, CFR, GrantSolutions.com, TEAM, etc.
Preference will be given to Ponca Tribe of Nebraska members or members of a federally recognized tribe. However, all qualified individuals are eligible.
The Ponca Tribe of Nebraska is an at-will employer.
Tribal Council Approval: 06/23/18, 10/12/21, 08/07/22
Human Resources Final: 08/07/22
Chief Executive Officer, Tribal Affairs
Closing Date: 9/2/22
Ponca Tribe of Nebraska