Chief Executive Officer: Confederated Tribes of Coos, Lower Umpqua and Siuslaw Indians
Job Title: Chief Executive Officer
Job Code: 10101
Department: Tribal Administration
Reports to: Tribal Council
FLSA: Exempt Executive
Grade Level: 20s/e
Salary Range: DOE
Chief Executive Officer
Closes: Open Until Filled
The Chief Executive Officer works directly with the Tribal Council of the Confederated Tribes of Coos, Lower Umpqua and Siuslaw Indians and carries out their directives. The Chief Executive Officer performs all the duties assigned by the Tribal Council and is responsible for the overall management; i.e., planning, directing and coordinating of all programs, projects, utilities and enterprises of Tribal Government.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Oversee all Tribal Departments and Programs and must be flexible and available to travel.
· Ensure all policies and procedures are followed.
· Compliant with all applicable Tribal and Federal law and ordinances.
· Administer grants of the Tribe to ensure results and oversees grants administered by Directors, Grants Managers, or Coordinators with respect to overall goals and objectives established within the scope and purpose of the grants.
· Coordinate department head meetings to review policy directives and obtains progress reports on a monthly basis.
· Evaluate the effectiveness of programs, identify administrative problem areas, prescribe and monitor corrective action plans.
· Ensure recommended policy changes for Human Resources Management are administered; to include adherence to the policies of the employee operational manual.
· Prepare and implement Tribal Administration annual budget and approves subsequent modifications, monitors and evaluates assigned department and program budgets.
· Assure that general funds programs, indirect cost proposals, and contract and grant proposals are submitted in compliance with Tribal and Federal guidelines.
· Coordinates an administrative review process for all approved grants to ensure managers and directors submit financial and program reports to Federal agencies in a timely and efficient manner.
· Assist in negotiations of Tribal Council approved contracts, grant agreements and contracts for services or leases.
· Interface with grant agencies and Tribal management personnel to assure programs are managed in compliance with applicable regulations and Tribal policies and operating procedures governing personnel, finance, contracting, administration, records, facilities, and property. Take corrective action when fiscal, contracting, personnel, or other administrative problems are identified.
· Provide reports regularly to the Tribal Council concerning the status of all assignments, duties, projects and functions of the various programs and activities, assist in establishing programs objectives and meeting deadlines, preparing resolutions, contracts, and reports.
· Provide for the identification of resources necessary for the implementation of general Tribal goals and objectives.
· Develop Tribal ordinances and other governing documents to carry out the goals of the Tribes.
· Provide for personnel management and staff training required for effective and efficient management of Tribal Government operations.
· Promote the unique culture and history of the Confederated Tribes of Coos, Lower Umpqua and Siuslaw Indians.
· Other duties as directed by Tribal Council.
LEVEL OF AUTHORITY & RESTRICTIONS
· Directly supervise Administration, Planning, Police, Finance, Education, Natural Resources, Cultural, IT, Housing, and Health & Human Services Departments, and Tribal Utilities.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENVIRONMENT
· The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
PHYSICAL & MENTAL DEMANDS
· Requires independent decision making skills supported by excellent analytical skills and professional judgment.
· Must be able to walk, talk, hear, use hands to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reach with hands and arms.
· Vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
· Must be required to push, pull, lift, and/or carry up to 40 pounds.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
§ A Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Public Administration is required OR at least four years of experience in a related field may be substituted. Master’s Degree preferred.
§ Minimum of five years in Tribal Administration Management at CEO level required.
§ Experience in providing organizational management of 130 hundred employees with responsibility for providing direct supervision of ten or more employees.
§ Ability to establish effective and efficient working relationships with Tribal Council, Tribal staff, Tribal Members and Federal, State and community leaders.
§ Must demonstrate knowledge of principles and practices in the following administrative functions: Employment Law, Fiscal operations, Audit preparation, Financial Management, Human Resources/Personnel, Property and Contract Management.
§ Must have experience and capability in planning and directing complex work projects, and the ability to develop, present and gain acceptance for long-range program plans and budgets in excess of $20 Million annually.
§ Must be computer literate, have excellent analytical, oral, written and organizational skills, and have working knowledge of current Tribal and Federal laws and regulations.
§ Must have excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
§ Valid Driver’s license, adequate transportation, and eligibility to operate GSA vehicles required.
§ Must be willing to complete National Incident Management System (NIMS) training for NIMS certification as arranged by the Tribes.
§ This position is subject to pre-employment drug testing.
§ This is a covered position which requires background check that includes fingerprinting.
§ Must have employment eligibility in the U.S.
§ Indian preference will be observed in the hiring process.
· 40 hours per week.
· Generally Monday through Friday 8am to 5pm with possible occasional evening and weekend work.
Tribal Administrative Office
1245 Fulton Avenue
Coos Bay, Oregon 97420
Apply online @ www.ctclusi.org
Deadline: Open Until Filled