PECHANGA BAND OF INDIANS
Pechanga Indian Reservation
P.O. Box 1477, Temecula, CA 92593
Telephone (951) 770-6000 Fax (951) 695-1778
ASSOCIATE GENERAL COUNSEL
The Pechanga Band of Indians is accepting applications for the position of Associate General Counsel.
The Associate General Counsel will work in the Office of the General Counsel under the direct supervision of the General Counsel for the Pechanga Band of Luiseno Indians. The Associate General Counsel will work with the General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel to provide legal services, representation and advice on legal issues confronting the Tribal Government, its entities and enterprises; provide guidance and assistance to Tribal Government departments; and provide limited service to tribal members in matters relating to tribal status.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide legal advice and assistance to the Tribal Council on legal issues as needed.
- Enhance and protect the Tribes sovereignty, jurisdiction, and authority.
- Provide a broad range of legal services such as, but not limited to contract law, employment law, administrative law, tribal jurisdiction, environmental law, cultural resource preservation, and child welfare.
- Representation in administrative proceedings.
- Work with the General Counsel and Tribal Council, to draft Tribal legislation, ordinances, resolutions, administrative rules and regulations and other documents and instruments.
- Advise tribal government, environmental, finance, fire, law enforcement, water departments and other governmental departments as needed.
- Must adhere to all policies and procedures of the Pechanga Tribal Government.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
* Must possess Juris Doctor Degree from an ABA accredited law school.
* Must be a Member of the California state Bar and licensed to practice law in the state of California.
* Must have a minimum of 3-5 years experience in all aspects of American Indian law, with knowledge and experience in employment law, Intellectual Property, Indian Child Welfare Act, gaming law, contracts and litigation. Knowledge and experience in environmental and natural resources law.
* Tribal, State and Federal experience dealing with Tribal Cultural/Sacred Site protection issues.
* Ability to conduct legal and general research that is accurate and thorough.
* Ability to provide accurate, useful, and understandable information and reliable legal advice.
* Excellent capacity to organize and establish priorities.
* Ability to manage multiple projects effectively and meet firm deadlines.
* Strong written and oral advocacy skills required.
* This position must comply with the Pechanga Tribal Government’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy. This includes: pre-employment testing, post-accident or injury, and random testing.
* Must successfully pass a pre-employment background investigation.
The Pechanga Band offers a comprehensive and competitive benefit package for all full-time employees. Benefits include the following:
· Paid Time Off – Vacation, Sick and Holiday pay
· Retirement - 401(k) retirement plan with a generous employer match
· Health & Wellness Coverage - Medical, dental and vision coverage
· Life and Long-Term Disability - Employer paid life and Long-Term Disability
· Flexible Spending Accounts – Healthcare and Dependent care reimbursement accounts
· Supplemental Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
· Supplemental Coverage – Disability, Accident, Cancer, Life, and Hospital Confinement
· Legal Shield and Identity Shield
· Pet Insurance
· Education Reimbursement Opportunities – For pre-approved specific, job related education
· Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Face-to-face counseling, Legal assistance, Financial assistance, ID recovery, Tobacco cessation, Dependent care and Daily living resources, and Crisis consultation
For complete Job Announcement and application go to: WWW.PECHANGA-NSN.GOV or direct link https://www.pechanga-nsn.gov/index.php/contact/employment.
Send resume and application to HR@PECHANGA-NSN.GOV
The Pechanga Tribal Government will at all times and for all positions give hiring, transfer and promotion preference to qualified applicants in the following order: 1) Pechanga Band of Indians Members; 2) Pechanga Band of Luiseño Mission Indian Member Spouses; 3) Other American Indians; and 4) all others.