Skip to main content

Small Plane Crash-Lands on Fort Hall Reservation, Two Hurt

[node:summary]Small plane crash lands on Fort Hall Indian Reservation, breaks apart; two hurt but no one killed.
  • Author:
  • Updated:

A small aircraft crashed and broke apart in a field on the Shoshone-Bannock reservation on Thursday January 9, prompting warnings from public safety officials as the plane was buffeted about in high winds.

“The aircraft is not secure and high winds are moving the aircraft through the field,” the tribes’ Department of Public Safety said in a statement. “There is concern of potential impact to Idaho Power, power lines. A power line has already been broken in half. There also appears to be a parachute entangled in the power lines that is being further investigated.”

No one was killed in the accident but “two individuals are outside of the aircraft and are being taken to the hospital,” the statement said. Their condition was not available.

The pilot reported engine problems before the plane went down, according to KPVI News 6. The plane took out a power line on the way down, the television station said. 

The plane landed at 3:20 p.m. in a field off of Rio Vista road in Fort Hall, the public safety department said, adding that EMS personnel were responding. Roads in the intersection areas of Ballard and Hawthorn and Ballard and Philbin and surrounding areas were closed down, the Tribal Transportation department said in the release.

“No traffic is being allowed in the area,” the statement said. “They encourage all vehicles to stay out of the area and seek alternate routes until further advised.”

The Idaho State Journal reported that the airplane’s tail was snapped off and the wings are “heavily damaged” in the plane, whose fuselage lay in a field about a mile from an intersection. Power lines were broken, and Idaho Power had been notified. The Journal also said that the two people aboard did not appear to be seriously injured.

Fort Hall responders and Pocatello resources were working together, and the Tribes Department of Public Safety promised more updates as events unfold.