A man was found dead outside his home in Quinhagak early Aug. 6. Alaska State Troopers said it appears he was inhaling propane gas. Troopers received a call from tribal police in the village on the Kuskokwim Bay coast 425 miles southwest of Anchorage that Peter White, 24, was unconscious outside his family's home with a 100-pound bottle of propane next to him. Village health aides had attempted to resuscitate White without success when troopers arrived. White was declared dead at the scene. Troopers said propane is a commonly abused inhalant, along with gasoline and aerosols. Propane replaces oxygen in the lungs and causes suffocation at high doses. It also acts as a brain and nervous system depressant.
Indian Country Today is a nonprofit news organization. Will you support our work?
All of our content is free. There are no subscriptions or costs. And we have hired more Native journalists in the past year than any news organization ─ and with your help we will continue to grow and create career paths for our people. Support Indian Country Today for as little as $10.