A customer recently suffered a heart attack while consuming a “Triple Bypass Burger” at the Heart Attack Grill in Las Vegas, and now the owner of the fast food establishment is defending the right of Americans to eat "a simple hamburger, a coke, some fries and enjoy our lives the way we want to" without groups or governmental organizations interfering.
This week, a Washington D.C.-based anti-meat advocacy group asked Jon Basso to shut down his restaurant chain that encourages obesity—so far as to offer customers weighing over 350 pounds a free meal. On Thursday, officials for the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) sent a letter to Basso asking him to "declare moral bankruptcy" and close Heart Attack Grill.
Speaking on Fox and Friends Friday morning, Basso stood firm behind the restaurant's right to promote excessive consumption of unhealthy foods that can lead to weight gain, cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
"What it's all about is a place where you can live the way our Founding Fathers intended us to live, and that is by our own accord," Basso told FoxNews.com.
Susan Levin, PCRM's director of nutrition education, says Saturday's incident should serve as a wake-up call to Basso that the restaurant's food is life-threatening and bypass operations are not funny.
The Triple Bypass Burger's layers of meat patties, bread and condiments reportedly total to 6,000 calories, but Basso refuses to provide nutritional information. "It's totally against everything we believe in to count calories," Basso said.