The downpours that lashed drought-stricken Southern California late last year wreaked havoc on the Soboba Band of Luiseño Indians, and on January 27 President Barack Obama declared a major disaster for the California reservation, which was ravaged by severe storms, flooding and mudslides from December 4 through 6.
Obama ordered federal aid to supplement the tribe’s recovery efforts and made federal funding available to the band, as well as to certain private nonprofit organizations, on a cost-sharing basis, the statement said. This will go toward for emergency work and the repair or replacement of any damaged facilities on the 7,000-acre reservation, the White House said in a statement.
The 1,200-member tribe is also eligible for federal funding to assist with hazard mitigation measures, the release said. Rosalyn L. Cole has been named as the Federal Coordinating Officer for the recovery operations, and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) said that more funds could be made available, as needed.
The tribe requested the aid on January 15, FEMA said.