Skip to main content

Comanche Boy Fights off Injury, Wins World Boxing Council Title

  • Author:
  • Updated:

Despite his opponent's nickname it was George (Comanche Boy) Tahdooahnippah who gave his rival a lesson on Saturday night.

Tahdooahnippah defeated Jimmy (The Fightin' School Teacher) Holmes via a second-round knockout to capture the vacant World Boxing Council (WBC) Continental Americas middleweight title.

The bout was staged at the Comanche Nation Casino in Lawton, Okla., which is Tahdooahnippah's hometown. The bout, however, proved to also be a costly one for Tahdooahnippah as he suffered what in all likelihood is a torn right bicep, which would need to be surgically repaired.

Tahdooahnippah, who has Comanche and Choctaw ancestry, is pleased he was able to register a victory, keeping his pro undefeated streak intact. He now sports a 28-0-1 record, including 21 knockouts.

With the loss, Holmes, who is from Indiana, saw his mark fall to 19-3-2.

"It's a WBC minor belt," Tahdooahnippah said of his latest feat. "It's obviously more prestigious though than any other belt I've ever had."

Tahdooahnippah also owns the Native American Boxing Council super middleweight belt. He won this belt - only Aboriginal fighters are eligible to win it - in 2008.

He's hoping his latest triumph will be a stepping stone to some fights against some bigger names in the sport. But it looks like he'll be sidelined for awhile, probably a minimum of three months.

Scroll to Continue

Read More

The ringside physician told Tahdooahnippah he probably has a torn bicep after Saturday's fight. Two days later he was waiting to see his own doctor for official confirmation.
"It feels like a muscle cramp 24/7," he said. "I'm just waiting to see what he says about surgery. I want to take care of it as soon as possible."

Tahdooahnippah said he suffered the injury about 20 seconds into Saturday's fight, when he threw his first right-handed punch. After an awkward feeling with that punch, he believes he only attempted one other punch with his right hand in the opening round.

Between rounds, Tahdooahnippah said he only confided in his trainer David Vaughn about his injury. Vaughan instructed him to simply jab with his right hand and throw left-handed punches.

Tahdooahnippah said he believes he threw just one non-effective right-handed punch in the second round. But he landed a left-handed bomb on Holmes' chin late in that round and registered the knockout.

"Luckily he went down and stayed down," Tahdooahnippah said of Holmes, adding his opponent had no idea he had been injured in the opening round. "I just had the one arm to fight. That's all I had."

The Tahdooahnippah/Holmes bout was the main event at the card, which was held outdoors.

Though he was happy to be fighting at home, prior to the bout Tahdooahnippah had expressed a bit of concern boxing in the Oklahoma summer heat. When the first bout of the night began, the temperature in Lawton on Saturday was 104 degrees Fahrenheit.

Tahdooahnippah estimated the temperature dropped about 15 degrees by the time his match began.

"There was no heat," he said. "It was excellent fighting weather."